These past few days have not been the best for me. I’ve had a minor procedure done on my tongue (everything is fine, there was just something that needed checking out but all is good!) and so I’ve been in pain, not being able to eat properly and therefore hungry and hangry. I’ve also, for reasons beyond me, almost cried at work at least three times this week over absolutely nothing. I woke up today feeling much better and reasoned with myself that there was nothing wrong and it must have just been a bad day, but it can still make you feel shitty.
And then there’s the whole big thing happening over in America which has more than a few people worried or anxious for their future.
So whatever the cause of your bad day, sometimes you need to just take a step back from the problem and try to forget all about it.
Here are some of my favourite and most helpful things to do when I’m feeling altogether down:
(Obviously I don’t think a nice hot bubble bath can get Trump thrown out of office, but hey.)
- Bath. Bubbles. Candles. Bath bomb. Music. A good book. Face mask. Hair mask. Constant interruptions from the cat scratching at the bathroom door because he’s not getting your undivided attention. Bliss (almost).
- Paint your nails.
- Listen to a new podcast/new music/old music that you used to dance around your room to when you were 13.
- Make up. Full face of it. Do your hair nice. You don’t have to go anywhere, but glamming yourself can make you feel more capable of facing the day ahead.
- Get outside. Walk a dog. Take some photos. Be in nature.
- Comedy shows/films.
- Pet an animal. Whether its yours, a friends or neighbours, or a little pup at a rescue centre that needs a few hours of love and attention, how can tiny little cat bean paws and puppy ears not cheer you up?
- Learn something new. Take an online course and completely your mind off things.
- Call an old friend.
- Draw. Paint. Write. Be creative.
- Journal. Process your feelings.
- Chocolate. Ice cream. Cake. All three?
- Delve into an endless Youtube hole of cute animal videos, interviews with your favourite celebs, or random daily vlogs of someone you’ve never heard of before.
- Tidy your living space. This can help you feel more at peace and in control.
- Make lists. Idk, lists just make me happy.
- Make travel plans, even if you’ll never go on them.
These are just some things I like to do to relax and make myself feel better – please let me know yours too!