Happy new year!
And here’s to a new start.
Yes, yes, it’s time for that obligatory ‘new year, new me’ post. And I don’t mean that in a mocking/derogatory way like a lot of posts I’ve seen going around the internet in the run up to the new year, which try to belittle people who see the new year as a new opportunity. Some people like to have arbitrary times and dates in which to separate the old from the new, the bad of the past with the possibility of the future.
And I’m one of those people. I like it when a new month starts on a Monday. I like giving myself one (or a few) days of not having my life together before a new week/month/year rolls around and I can start all over again. It just feels nice.
So, as will ‘new year, new me’ posts, here are some goals for me to accomplish and achieve that ‘new me’.
First off, I had a bit of a think about what kind of person I want to be, and I tailored my goals to that. Some of these goals fit together quite well with each other, some are just kind of random ones.
For I, a self-confessed fool, have decided that I am going to endeavour to write a blog post for every day of 2017. Because that doesn’t sound even just a little bit hard to follow through on, right?
But I’m going to try. I feel it will be a good challenge.
So, that brings me to the rest of my goals.
Here’s what I want to achieve this year. Firstly, I had a think about what sort of person I want to be at the end of next year. 2017 might end up being just as much of a disaster as 2016, but I want to be a success story.
And what sort of person do I want to be?
- Read 100 books (like some sort of idiot I though 100 would be a good number even though I just managed to scrape through 2016 with 80 books. Anyway you can follow my progress on my goodreads here and I’ll be tagging any social media posts with #katiereads)
- Complete an online course about cancer, which will help with work, and at least 5 other online courses throughout the year.
- Be more proactive about researching social issues, politics, and new developments in the news.
-More environmentally friendly
- Learn how I can reduce my impact on the earth by reducing my waste, reducing my carbon footprint, and helping endangered species, amongst other things. Eat less meat and animal products. Progress to using all cruelty free products.
- Eat less processed foods, eat less meat, increase my water consumption, and generally eat healthier. Listen to my body more and stop snacking mindlessly. Find a sport/exercise I enjoy and get my heart racing at least once a week. Partake in more dog walks. Yoga. Make one new, healthy recipe every month.
- Get back into drawing and painting.
- Write a novel.
- I’ve been struggling to make travel plans for a while now, as people are hard to pin down, but I’m determined to go somewhere.
I feel like I should have more measurable goals, but I think this is good enough to start on, and if I feel the need to amend these I can do them on my own. I plan on having a page in my Bujo dedicated to these goals (when I get around to sorting it out) so that will help me stay on track and remember what I want to achieve.
Let me know if you have any new years goal/resolution/hopes! Here’s to making 2017 a good one!